Waraku Education

Ideas, experiments and observations as they occur [and I have time] relating to teaching and learning in a secondary school - special focus on ICT.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Horses for courses

I have not made a posting for some time. A number of factors. I have huge admiration for those who can be exposed to a stimulus and just react to it. There is an honesty in that that I have difficulty doing for myself. I tend to ponder and ponder and read and read and ponder some more. I have had a lot of stimulus lately and so a lot to ponder. With that build up I guess that I should be giving birth to something truly great. Naaaaaaaa. Work has been particularly hectic since the start of the year and has not let up. I haven't finished pondering yet either. It's just about time I got back to putting some things together for myself.


I have found that 'using the free stuff first', while most people agree in principle, can find it difficult to put into practice. I can understand why they are doing this but can't help thinking that it is short sighted, especially after listening to the interview of Knut Yrvin (a key player in the Skolelinux project) by Teemu of Flosse Posse . Knut talked about dealing with diminishing educational budgets (and many other issues) and yet some people want to tie themselves to a propriety product and the ongoing associated costs – what for? (feelings of despair)


I have really benefited from all of the interviews that Teemu of Flosse Posse has made available. (I have also found Skype – thanks for that also) I think that the most important thing that I have been able to conceptualise is the potential that ICT's are providing us with the growing array of social interaction tools and the obvious benefits for students in constructivist learning environments, let alone connectivist. Yet in schools we are still trying to get the applications level (empowering individuals) integrated across the curriculum. Check out this diagram from Flosse Posse http://flosse.dicole.org/media/documents/FLOSSE-results/siframes.html and then follow the 'Exploring the future' link in the left panel.


We have teachers in schools that have no idea about simple file management let alone helping students develop application level (personal empowerment) skills. I don't want to put across the idea that because there is a tool we have to be using it. 'Horses for courses' is the way. We have to know how to use the right tool for the job. We need also to know about the range of tools we have available to us so that we can actually make a good choice. The other part to this is giving the tools to the students so that they can also make decisions for themselves and decide upon what horse for what course.




1 Comments:

  • At 11:26 pm, Blogger Bill Kerr said…

    hi wara,

    I think the pondering way is a good one, it means that when you do post you have something to say

    thanks for the flosse links

     

Post a Comment

<< Home