Waraku Education

Ideas, experiments and observations as they occur [and I have time] relating to teaching and learning in a secondary school - special focus on ICT.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Form to update MySQL table

That tutorial at http://www.tizag.com/mysqlTutorial/mysqlinsert.php has been great. I have successfully created a html form and used the data input into this form to update a MySQL table. Fantastic.

Now I have enough to continue building my knowledge and feel comfortable with this development environment. I am not sure that it is the best environment for school and this relates to my next question. Before I go too much further I need to work out how do I implement this learning in a school.

Issues

  • Students should not store there work on a PC. PC’s can be re-imaged without notice. We can not assume that students will work on the same PC each time either. They will need to be able to continue with their work at other locations in the school and hopefully at home.
  • I would be happy with students doing their development on an external server so that it can be accessed from school and home. However, working on a server adds complexity as code has to be written, uploaded to the server and then executed by checking with a browser. They do not get the benefit of using tools like PHP Designer 2005.
  • How do you easily have a server set up so that 20 students can each have their space for testing?
  • It is easy to backup a database, destroy it and then restore it using PHPmyadmin. PHP files can be copied to another location

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home