Waraku Education

Ideas, experiments and observations as they occur [and I have time] relating to teaching and learning in a secondary school - special focus on ICT.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Scratch - The Ducks Guts

I have posted previously that I think that Scratch is fantastic. It’s now the Ducks Guts. I downloaded the latest version in preparation for Scratch Day (http://limestonecoast-scratchers.wikispaces.com/Scratch+Day+2010)

It now has string manipulation commands, command to gain input for variables via the keyboard and commands to control lego.

You can create and manipulate lists (arrays)

Linux version now also available along with PC and Mac.

Release notes - http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_1.4_Release_Notes

I believe that there is now no better tool to teach programming available.. Impossible to make syntax errors, only logical errors and programming is about thinking and creativity so it’s the Ducks Guts.

I would love to work with someone who is an authority on the new SACE curriculum statement to determine if we can use Scratch for SACE2.

I would not be surprised if more tertiary/unis pick up Scratch as a way of introducing the thinking around programming via Scratch.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home